Pages

Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Fly-In Fishing Trip Tips...For Noobs Like Me.

I wish I could say I regularly go on remote, fly-in, fishing trips. If I had the financial resources, that would certainly be the truth. The reality is, the cost and logistics of these trips makes them a rare treat in an otherwise local, drive-to, fishing world. But, who better to create a list of things to remember and bring than someone like me who's in no position to take trips like this for granted?

Two years ago a couple of my friends and I embarked on our first, highly anticipated, fly-in fishing trip to a housekeeping-only lodge in Northern Alberta. Seeing as it was our first time on such a trip, we quickly realized there were some essential items that we were glad we brought and a bunch of things that we wished we had thought to pack. In case you're planning your first trip to a remote camp, here's a list off the top of my head of tips and items that you may find helpful. Please add anything that I've forgotten to the comments.

I'd choose a place like this over a tropical destination any day of the week

1. Most obviously, appropriate tackle and, more importantly, equipment suitable to handle the fish you'll be targeting is essential. My friend spent most of his prep budget on new lures so he ended up bringing a couple of not-so-good reels that weren't really suitable for the size of fish we got into. By the third day we had nicknamed his one reel 'old-clickey' and his other one 'old-screechy'.

2. Listen to tackle advice from the lodge proprietors. Seems obvious but even though we all spent around 300-400 dollars on tackle for the trip, most of our best fish were caught on Len Thompson's five of diamonds spoons...which the lodge owners kept telling us would be the only lures we needed for the week.

3. If you drink, BRING LOTS OF BOOZE. You don't want to run out. Liquor, opposed to beer, is a good option if you have weight limits on your flight. Luckily, I'm not a big guy so we could bring lots of beer.

4. Don't rely solely on eating only the fish you catch. After a long day on the water, cleaning fish can be a hassle...especially if you have to travel a considerable distance to a cleaning station to keep bears away from the lodge.

You may have to travel a bit to clean your fish safely

5. Bring a first aid kit. I didn't have one in the boat I was in so I had to wrap my finger in my sock after I got cut up by a big pike. Luckily, one of the lodge owners was a former military field medic so he nipped my infection in the bud when we got back to the lodge before things got ugly.

6. Bring food that's easy to cook. I'm talking cans of beans, chips and hotdogs type stuff. My friend kept saying he can cook like a chef but as tired/drunk as we were at the end of each day, he didn't get much of a chance to prove it on the trip.

7. Brush up on your bear safety and follow the guidelines established by the lodge staff.

If a bear can do this to a doorknob, imagine what it can do to your face

8. Ask if there's anyone staying at the lodge who's fishing single and would like to shares boats with you. We were grouped up with this American guy who had been coming to the lodge for like 20 years and he basically turned into a free guide.

9. Make your group an even number. The lodge people may tell you 3 to a boat is fine but 2 is always better.

10. Bring headlamps/flashlights. The lodge may turn the generator off earlier than you think or you may find yourself out on the water later than you planned.

Our cabin shortly before the generator was turned off for the evening

11. BRING BUG SPRAY.

12. Don't tell your friends and family back home that the lodge probably has a satellite phone. Chances are, you're going on a trip into the middle of nowhere to get off the grid...so get off the grid!

These trips are super expensive and pretty short compared to the amount of time you spend waiting for them so finding ways to make them as enjoyable as possible is a good idea. Anyone else have any other tips for wilderness adventures?

No comments:

Post a Comment