Pages

Monday, May 5, 2014

Fishing is Priceless...Well, Not Quite

The last time I wrote anything for this blog it was February. It is now May. It's not that I haven't wanted to write anything and it's absolutely not because I haven't been thinking about fishing. Between work, closed lakes and streams and crappy weather, I just haven't been able to get out much.

Generally, when I'm not fishing I'm out spending money on stuff related to fishing. Judging by my last Visa statement, I haven't been fishing enough lately.

In February I finally went out and committed to my first fly rod. I bought a Temple Fork Outfitters 5 weight to go along with the waders, wading boots, vest, fly box, forceps, wooden landing net, strike indicators and zingers I had already purchased. A couple of weeks ago the ice shelfs had shrunk enough for me to take my new rod to the Bow River and whadya know, it works! According to a few anglers I've spoken to, the Bow has been slow this spring but I managed to pull an 18 inch Rocky Mountain Whitefish out of a very popular run in Southeast Calgary. Not bad considering all the times I've been skunked on the Bow River.

First fish on my new 5 wt
A week ago I also went out and bought my first baitcasting outfit completely on a whim. The sales guy at the Fishin' Hole, my favourite local tackle shop, saw me checking out the rods and must've instinctively detected my weakness for sales "suggestions". Next thing I knew I was walking out the door with a brand new Fenwick Nighthawk rod with a Pflueger Supreme reel. I plan to try my new setup out this weekend at our favourite secret spring pike spot.

Part of the reason I never have new clothes
I'm convinced that fishing equipment manufacturers design their gear to catch the eye of the fisherman as much as that of the fish...either that or there's some sort of magic that makes money fly out of my pocket as soon as I cross the threshold of any tackle shop. Regardless, I can think of way worse things to spend money on and if you ask me while I'm on the water, I would tell you fishing is worth every cent.

No comments:

Post a Comment